Group Created with Sketch.

Do you still need planning permission?

The rather controversial changes to the planning system come into effect from today to allow, amongst other things, offices to be converted into residential without planning permission.

The main changes are
– Premises in B1(a) office use will be able to change to C3 residential use, subject to prior approval covering flooding, highways and transport issues and contamination.

– Premises in the B1, C1, C2, C2A, D1 and D2 use classes will be able to change use permanently to a state-funded school, subject to prior approval covering highways and transport impacts and noise.

– There will be increased limits for home and business extensions. For a period of three years, the respective size limits and percentage increases are to be doubled.

– Agricultural buildings under 500 square metres will be able to change to A1, A2, A3, B1, B8, C1 and D2 use. For buildings between 150 square metres and 500 square metres, prior approval covering flooding, highways and transport impacts, and noise will be required.

– Buildings with A1, A2, A3, A4, A5, B1, D1 and D2 uses will be permitted to change use for a period of up two years to A1, A2, A3 and B1 uses to help new and start-up businesses.

– There will be increased permitted development thresholds for business change of use. Thresholds will change from 235 square metres to 500 square metres for change of use from B1 or B2 to B8 and from B2 or B8 to B1.

For more information please contact us.

Get in touch